Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A little about me

Hi,
My name is Lea. I have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 1998 but truly believe I've had it all my life. Pain has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I had "growing pains" as a child. I'd wake up screaming with pain that wouldn't ease until my dad massaged my legs & got it to calm down. At age 7, I woke up one day & couldn't walk. Diagnosed as Cystic Arthritis but I believe it was fibromyalgia even back then. Through out my teens I had a lot of weird pains & aches off & on. This continued all through my 20s.

In 1997, I hurt my back. Diagnosed as bulging disks, the doctor assured me I'd be back to work within a month. That month stretched into 3, 4, then 5 months. By this time my back doctor was baffled. My regular doctor said it was "all in my head" & sent me to a shrink! Little did I know this was the best thing that could have happened.

This psychologist was very knowledgeable. She said yes, I was depressed BUT it was because I was in a lot of pain. REAL PAIN! She said those fateful words "I believe you have fibromyalgia." I was so excited because I had a real answer to why I was hurting so much, why I was not able to get back to work & why one day I would feel good & the next I wouldn't.

Since then, I've know highs & lows. I went from being bed ridden to being pregnant with very little pain. The pregnancy hormones agreed with me & made my fibromyalgia almost disappear. But my 2nd pregnancy caused it to get worse & with my 3rd it stayed about the same. So I've had ups & downs.

Through out it all, I've leaned on God to help me through. He has taught me so much about myself through this. I've learned that I'm much tougher than I could ever imagine but I also need His strength more than I could ever imagine.

So join me as I continue this crazy journey near sanity's edge that I call my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment